Rules and Regulations
1. School competitions are open to schools from the UK and Ireland.
2. School choirs may enter more than one competition in their respective categories (each entry must be made on a separate form and requires a separate fee).
3. National competitions are open to choirs from the UK and Ireland.
4. National choirs may enter more than one national competition (each entry must be made on a separate form and requires a separate fee).
5. The majority of singers in all national choirs must be over 15 years of age, apart from the Youth and Sacred categories.
6. The International Competition is open to any youth or adult choir of international standing.
7. Choirs accepted for participation in the International Competition are excluded from entering any of the national categories.
1. No choir may sing the same repertoire in two different competitions.
2. Piano accompaniment is permitted in all school and national competitions. Choirs may also use up to a maximum of one additional instrument if indicated on the score.
3. Changes to the submitted programme are not permitted.
4. Choirs will be penalised for a programme that does not adhere to the stated time limits for each competition.
5. Adjudicators will award marks for the technical ability and artistic quality of each choir, as well as the variety and communication of the selected programme.
Broadcasting, Recording and Photographic Rights:
1. Performances throughout the festival may be photographed, recorded for subsequent reproduction and/or broadcast on radio or television.
2. All broadcasting and photographic rights to the performances will belong to the festival and may be used for promotional use as it sees fit.
3. Choirs will not receive payment for recordings or photographs used and the festival will be entitled to reproduce any such recording or photograph for sale or promotional use.
4. All choirs with members under the age of 18 years must ensure that the necessary consent is obtained from the young people and their parents/guardians prior to taking part in the festival.
Travel, Accommodation, Meals:
1. All travel costs to and from the festival are the responsibility of each participating choir.
2. All accommodation and meal costs at the festival are the responsibility of each participating choir.
3. Participating choirs are responsible for organising, booking and paying for all travel, accommodation and meals.
4. For competing choirs travelling from outside the UK and Ireland, the festival will provide a per diem subsidy for each choir member in the amount of £15. The subsidy will be provided for up to a maximum of four participatory days, for a maximum of 40 people (including conductor). Per diems are calculated on the number of participatory days that a choir takes part in the festival.
5. For visiting choirs, from outside the island of Ireland, the festival will provide all local transport, from the City of Derry Airport or the local train/bus station to their accommodation and back, and throughout the weekend as required by the festival.
1. The decisions of the adjudication panel will be final in all competitions and no correspondence will be entered into regarding any aspect of their work.
2. The Artistic Panel reserves the right to limit the number of entries for any competition.
3. The Artistic Panel reserves the right to cancel a competition if sufficient entries have not been received.
4. The Artistic Panel reserves the right to refuse entry into any competition.
5. Entry fees (less any bank charges) will be refunded if a choir is not selected.
6. A selected choir that withdraws from the competition is not entitled to a fee refund.
7. The timetable for competitions is to be used as a guideline only and may change at the Festival Committee’s discretion.
8. Illegal reproduction of music will not be condoned by the festival. In the event of any illegal reproduction, the Festival Committee accepts no responsibility for any action taken by publishers.
9. The Festival Committee accepts no legal responsibility whatsoever in respect of any matter pertaining to a choir’s participation in the festival and any associated activities.
10. The decisions of the Festival Committee are final.
11. All details are subject to change. Any updates will be made on the festival website and will supersede the information in this syllabus.
12. Participation in the festival implies acceptance of all rules and regulations.
Check out our fantastic evening concerts for 2018!
Opportunities to Participate
Visit our 2018 gallery HERE